Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Theatre HW 11.20

Name: _________________ .   Date: _________________ .     Parents Signature: _______________

Read the following excerpt from “The Outsiders” by S.E Hinton



Level 1: "You like fights, Soda?” "Yeah.” "I like fights." "How come?” “It's a contest. Like a drag race or a dance or something.” "How come you like fights, Darry?" I asked. He gave me one of those looks that hide what he's thinking, Soda piped up: "He likes to show off his muscles”.

Why does Darry like fights?
a). Darry does not like fights.
b). He likes to show off his muscles.
c). Darry is afraid to fight.

Level 2: "You like fights, don't you, Soda?” "Yeah, sure.” "I like fights." "How come?” "It's action. It's a contest. Like a drag race or a dance or something." "Shoot," said Steve, "I want to beat those Socs' heads in. When I get in a fight I want to stomp the other guy good. I like it, too." "How come you like fights, Darry?" I asked. He gave me one of those looks that hide what he's thinking, but Soda piped up: "He likes to show off his muscles.” I digested what Soda said. It was the truth. Darry liked anything that took strength, like weight lifting or playing football or roofing houses, even if he was proud of being smart too. 

What does Darry like other than fights?
Darry likes ______________________________________________________________________________.

Level 3: "You like fights, don't you, Soda?" I asked suddenly. "Yeah, sure." He shrugged. "I like fights." "How come?” "It's action. It's a contest. Like a drag race or a dance or something." "Shoot," said Steve, "I want to beat those Socs' heads in. When I get in a fight I want to stomp the other guy good. I like it, too." "How come you like fights, Darry?" I asked, looking up at him as he stood behind. He gave me one of those looks that hide what he's thinking, but Soda piped up: "He likes to show off his muscles." "I'm gonna show 'em off on you, little buddy, if you get any mouthier.” I digested what Soda had said. It was the truth. Darry liked anything that took strength, like weight lifting or playing football or roofing houses, even if he was proud of being smart too. Darry never said anything about it, but I knew he liked fights.”

Why do you think the greasers feel the need to fight?


No comments:

Post a Comment

February 9th, 2021